Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Breast feeding class

  So Thursday night Paul and I ventured out to The Hague for an English speaking class on preparing for breast feeding.  I didn't plan on writing a very long blog about the class, but I've gotten many comments from friend and family asking, what do you learn at a class like that if you don't even have a baby.  Well Paul and I thought the same thing, but coming out of the class we were shocked how much we didn't know and how much we know about feeding Brandon. 

The class began with a video about feeding and the videos of mothers feeding their newborn babies.  It went into detail about how after the baby is placed on you, you're supposed to let baby find it's way to the breast on his own for feeding.    We were taught positions to hold baby while feeding (the mom's all got to hold a baby doll for practice) and how to establish good suckling habits by not introducing a pacifier or bottle until breast feeding is both comfortable for mom and baby.  The teacher showed us how large our baby's stomach is at 1, 2,& 3 weeks and how many times per day he needs to be fed and for how long.  She also explained to us that it's better to keep the baby close to us after he is born, he should stay in our room while we are in the birthing center, so when we go home it's not a shock when we don't get any rest.  She explained keeping him with us will help with bonding and set up a feeding schedule faster, but we will see if we'll do this, it's just an option.  We learned about the use of pumping and that I can pump so once Brandon is 6 weeks we can introduce 1 bottle per day, we already decided that will be Daddy and Brandon bonding time, since I'll have the first 6 weeks of feedings all to myself.

The class was wonderful.  The teacher really put our minds at ease and she even told us that if we have any problems with feeding to contact her and she will drop by our house.  I wish we lived closer to The Hague because she runs a Kramzorg service, this is sort of like a baby nurse, but they also take care of the household chores, cook you meals, and help play hostess when you have guests, or turn guests away when you need rest.  Paul and I are getting this service when we are at the birthing center, but not at our house.   But I'm sure the service we'll get will be just as nice, I just hope they speak English just as well.

Nothing else new going on.  I go to the midwife on Tuesday for a check up.  It seems like every week there is an appointment until his due date.  Paul and I are looking forward to next weekend, it'll be a nice and quiet 4 day holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment